For some reason I feel like I get 75% of our home projects done in the coldest months. I guess because it’s too freaking cold to go outside. The weekend after I painted the pantry doors, I painted the dresser that my gem of a sister-in-law offered me which was super lucky because I had been scouring craigslist for weeks to no avail. Thanks Katie!
The project had some hiccups. When I first went to buy the paint that I wanted by Benjamin Moore, I realized that the place that sells their paint was closed. I impatiently decided to go find a replacement at Home Depot and it was not at all what I wanted. So then I had to go back to Ace Hardware the next day to buy the paint that I wanted in the first place (BM Gray Timberwolf.) Then when I painted the polycrylic coat over the top of the paint, it turned yellow. Even though it really isn’t supposed to turn yellow. So I repainted another coat of gray on top and will just keep the paint around in case of chips or scratches. Finally, when Corey was helping me install the bin pulls, one of the heads of the screws broke off while the body of the screw was already inside the drawer. Highly annoying. We just moved the hardware down a little so it is slightly uneven with the other pull but I feel certain you guys can’t notice. Anyway, I love it! And all my clothes are organized in one place! Miracles do happen. I forgot to take a before pictures because I.am.the.worst. Here is kind of what it looked like before but with broken hardware.
You might also like:
As I mentioned a while ago, I decided to paint our pantry doors. We had been shoving the kitchen chairs against the doors to keep the cat from eating all the food inside and knocking stuff off of the shelves which had left the paint in a bad state. I actually finished painting the door before Christmas, but it took me a while to get the latch situation figured out because Catsley broke into the pantry not 10 minutes after I installed the first latch that I purchased. Little bastard. So I found a sturdier version and finally got it installed last weekend.
Just for fun, let’s look at a before picture from when Corey and I were first touring the house.
Also for fun, here is a video of Catsley breaking into the pantry, even when I had string holding the handles together. That cat has some nerve.
Since the new latch has been installed, Catsley is feeling very sorry for himself that he has finally been defeated and I am feeling very happy for myself that I don’t have to barricade the doors everyday with a bunch of ugly crap all over the floor. I think this is a win for us all.
Paint: Special thanks to Megan for providing the paint for free – it is Benjamin Moore in Onyx.
Knobs: Octagonal Deco Cabinet Knobs
Latch: Brass Swivel Hook
Lantern: Carriage House Chandelier
You might also like:
My Christmas present from Corey was a big surprise. Well it would have been, except the box showed up on our front porch two days before Christmas with the picture shown on the outside. So even though I found out a little bit early, I still was a complete surprise that he bought me makeup vanity for our bedroom. He even made sure to get one with with lots of drawers for storage and several mirrors so I can make sure the side of my face looks ok. My first big girl makeup vanity will force me to actually do my makeup in the morning instead of just throwing some stuff on haphazardly. I just know it. Maybe I will finally learn how to put on eyeshadow correctly. This step into a brave new world certainly requires a bit of decorating.
Excuse the crappy iPhone picture of the vanity. I promise to take a good one once I get the thing decorated. So here is the plan. I’m thinking I need a gallery wall. I know – I know, you are all like how many gallery walls does this chick have?! And the answer is probably too many. But the wall that we have the vanity on is blank (and white), and the vanity is white, so we need some color in a big way.
1) I’ve been meaning to buy another print from Clare Elsaesser who I’m kind of obsessed with, and I’m thinking about getting this one.
2) Meg got me the most beautiful gold foiled letterpress print of Charleston and I think it would be perfect here.
3) I’ll probably print one or several of my photographs from Seattle or Salem. (I’ve uploaded some of my favorites from our recent trips here if you guys are interested in purchasing.)
4) In order to actually do my makeup, I need some lighting. This will be in the dark corner of the bedroom so it needs to be bright enough for me to see my face but directed light so it doesn’t wake up Corey on the other side of the room. So highly attractive wall sconces it is.
5) I plan on getting a couple of small pretty containers for makeup brushes and other odds and ends. I have big plans for 2015 being the year of getting organized. You just wait. It is happening.
6) A pretty tray is obviously necessary for me to throw my crap when I’m not being so organized. And when I’m late every morning. Like today.
You might also like: