Today is Megan’s birthday so we all need to wish her the happiest and most delicious birthday! I’ll wait will you all call her to sing her your best birthday song. Done? Good. So we call April the month of cake because it starts with Easter and Easter baskets brought by our Easter bunnies (yes we still have Easter bunnies and I will not tolerate any judgement) which admittedly is not really cake but lots of sweet goodness, then we have Meg’s birthday cake (I will be trying my hand at remaking a strawberry cake that I thoroughly screwed up a couple of years ago), then we have our lovely mother’s birthday. Lots of celebrating and lots of cake. Meg deserves it because she’s one of the sweetest and most loyal people you will ever meet. Also, she makes one heck of a big sister. So Meg, I hope you have the best day, filled with cake and queso and cats! Love you!
Entries Tagged as 'Birthday'
The Month of Cake
Thursday, April 23, 2015
Happy Birthday Colleen!
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
Happy birthday Colleen! Colleen is in New York for her birthday today. The trip was a gift for Corey’s birthday but Colleen worked it out so they would be there on her birthday too. That is one smart chick. Anywho, since today is her birthday and she is awesome, I thought it might be fun to play that game where you have to list things people may not know about you. Except I am going to share the things about Colleen and not myself. Cause it’s her birthday!! Don’t worry. I promise I won’t share anything too embarrassing.
Thing 1. Colleen has a really good singing voice. When she was younger, she used to gather my friends and I around when they were over and make us listen to her sing Mariah Carey songs. Apparently all that practice paid off cause she can slay a kareoke song. (How the heck do you spell that? Spellcheck doesn’t like this way but I am leaving it cause this is quite obviously how it should be spelled.)
2. Colleen is one of the most loyal people I have ever met. Anytime I ever need a shoulder to cry on or someone to call late at night when I am upset about something, she is ALWAYS there. Patiently offering thoughtful advice and saying all the right things and being appropriately outraged with me until I get through it. This is invaluable, in my opinion. Not only that, but she offers to show up with Mexican food if things ever get really bad. Plus if she ever overhears someone saying anything bad about one of her people, they are lucky if they get to keep their head.
Which brings us to…
3. Colleen is a tough tough little cookie. Really…sometimes she can be scary and fierce. But also in the most perfect way, she is very soft and gentle.
4. If you live near Greensboro or down in some place in South Carolina, there is a chance that she is working (frequently by herself) or has worked to make sure there is no bacteria (poop?) in your drinking water. That, my friends, may be the most important thing of all.
5. She is a super duper environmentalist. Don’t throw away any cans around this girl or things will get real ugly real fast. See number 3.
6. If any of you have seen the pictures of us when we were little, Colleen had a curly red fro. You may already know this but it is worth repeating because it was adorable. People would always stop us to try to talk to her and she would have none of it. She was so over being cute. Actually one time my parents got out of a speeding ticket cause the cop thought she was so precious. Now she has this awesome curly red hair that also straightens like a dream with no frizz. My hair is straight and flat and I have always been jealous.
7. Just in case you don’t know or remember this, Colleen married her high school sweetheart. Hi Corey.
8. She can research an answer to something or find the best product to purchase like nobody’s business. This lady owns google.
9. She is exceptionally dependable. If she says she will be there, you can bet she will be and if she says she will do something, you can always count on it to be done.
10. She is the best sister ever. Really, I count my lucky stars every day to have been born into the same family as her.
You might also like:
Corey’s 30th Birthday
Monday, July 7, 2014
Believe it or not, I wasn’t originally planning on throwing Corey a party for his 30th birthday. His big birthday present is a trip to New York at the end of July to see his favorite soccer team. But then I thought about it, and I decided I would feel like a bit of a jerk if I didn’t have some kind of group gathering for him. Instead of throwing it at our house and going crazy with decorations like I normally do, I decided to make it at a local bar called VBGB Beer Garden (which means that there are a lot of beer options, but not actually a garden I don’t think) and make it a surprise! Spoiler alert, it wasn’t a surprise. Because I am a bad liar, and because he automatically assumed that I was going to throw him a party anyway. Oh well. We still had a great time with all of our lovely friends.
I kept things simple with some easy cupcake toppers (download here – Birthday Cupcake Toppers) and candle centerpieces using some printables from Oh Happy Day. I made the cupcakes using this recipe and Megan finished off with the frosting using the same chocolate buttercream from last year. I can vouch for the deliciousness. Many thanks to Megan for setting things up so I could bring the birthday boy late. She’s a gem that one.