Entries Tagged as 'Before and After'

Gray Timberwolf Dresser

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

For some reason I feel like I get 75% of our home projects done in the coldest months. I guess because it’s too freaking cold to go outside.  The weekend after I painted the pantry doors, I painted the dresser that my gem of a sister-in-law offered me which was super lucky because I had been scouring craigslist for weeks to no avail.  Thanks Katie!


The project had some hiccups.  When I first went to buy the paint that I wanted by Benjamin Moore, I realized that the place that sells their paint was closed.  I impatiently decided to go find a replacement at Home Depot and it was not at all what I wanted.  So then I had to go back to Ace Hardware the next day to buy the paint that I wanted in the first place (BM Gray Timberwolf.)  Then when I painted the polycrylic coat over the top of the paint, it turned yellow.  Even though it really isn’t supposed to turn yellow.  So I repainted another coat of gray on top and will just keep the paint around in case of chips or scratches.  Finally, when Corey was helping me install the bin pulls, one of the heads of the screws broke off while the body of the screw was already inside the drawer.  Highly annoying.  We just moved the hardware down a little so it is slightly uneven with the other pull but I feel certain you guys can’t notice.  Anyway, I love it!  And all my clothes are organized in one place!  Miracles do happen.  I forgot to take a before pictures because I.am.the.worst.  Here is kind of what it looked like before but with broken hardware.


And after:




C signature

You might also like:

Black Lacquered Bookcase

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I did it!  I rid our living room corner of ugly cords!  After my last post about finding a way to hide the stereo and internet wires in the corner, I started stalking Craigslist for the perfect bookcase made of real wood and fancy mouldings.  And I found it, but the person never got back to me.  So then I purchased the next one that seemed like a reasonable size because frankly I was sick of waiting.  I used Rustoleum Black Oil-Based Paint for a nice glossy surface just like I did with the white dining table and the wood tray, but this time I learned a little trick from Censational Girl.  If you add a little Penetrol to your paint, it helps lessen the brush strokes and makes using oil-based paint much easier.  It really makes a difference.


This was what we were working with.  Pretty rough.  (This is obviously a before of the area and not the bookcase because I was too excited to start painting once we got it that I forgot to take a before picture of the piece of furniture itself.  Typical.)


Much better.  I used the bottom shelf of the bookcase to store the stereo and speakers and drilled a large hole in the back of the bookcase so I could pull the cords around and into the shelf and keep them hidden in a nice storage basket.  I actually started out with the cords in a plastic bin, but it wasn’t quite tall enough, so I shoved the bin in the basket.  That way it was sturdy and attractive.





These were all the reject books from our bookcases in the front room but they actually cleaned up pretty well.  Please don’t judge me for all the Sookie Stackhouse books.  One day maybe I’ll be a grown up and have lots of Shakespeare and Dickens.  But for now, it is Sookie.

C signature

You might also like:

Campaign Inspired Media Center

Monday, March 31, 2014

I mentioned several weeks ago that Corey randomly came home with a used media center from Goodwill.  Well we finally finished updating that sucker and I cannot believe how much of an improvement it makes on my TV watching situation.  I spend half the time just thinking to myself “Self, that is good lookin.”  Initially we were going to paint it white but then I realized that that side of the room has absolutely no color, so I went with navy instead.  You guys know how I can only paint things neutral colors.  It is a rule I guess.  And since you can never have too much gold, I picked up some brackets from Home Depot to make it look a little bit like a campaign dresser.



Rustoleum Painter’s Touch Spray Paint in Navy (we needed 4 cans)

Rustoleum Painter’s Touch Primer 

Polycrylic Sealer

Brass brackets (2 sets of 4)

Brass ring pulls

This is more of a before and after than a DIY, but I did want to mention a couple of things.  I decided to use spray paint instead of oil-based paint because I thought it might be an easier way of getting a lacquered look, but I thought it was actually much more of a pain because the darn thing needed so many coats.  I’ve since read that there is a fancy adapter that makes the paint spread easier, so maybe do that.  After sanding, priming, and then 4 coats of paint, the finish was still super uneven.  Luckily, two coats of the polycrylic created a nice and glossy finish.  We let the media center sit for another day or so and then Corey installed the brackets by placing them onto the desired position, drilling in little holes for the screws, and then screwing in the brackets.






I found the botanical prints at Habitat for Humanity Restore last week and I really love them, but I do think I need something going on on the other side of the wall as well.  Maybe in the corner.  Oh, and disregard the mess of cords behind the stand.  Just pretend I organized them already.

C signature

You might also like:

Theme by Blogmilk   Coded by Brandi Bernoskie