When I think of events that feel dark and slightly twisted, masquerade parties are always right up there at the top of the list. I guess my impression of them got stuck that way after reading Poe’s The Masque of the Red Death. I have always thought it would be fantastic to have a masquerade party this time of year when a crisp chill is in the air that seems to be accompanied by a sense of mystery. I think a rehearsal dinner would be the perfect occasion for an event like this.
The Mask- First order of business would be to find a show stopper mask to wear. Although the mask above is lovely, I have absolutely no idea where it is from. I have seen similar masks for sale at Target this year and Etsy has many fantastic options as well.
1. Black Heart Bowl- for serving macabre delights for dinner.
2. Black lace table runner- I love the idea of black lace over a white tablecloth. The black color of the lace makes it more architectural and definitely more spooky.
3. Claw Candlesticks- For producing dreamy candlelight in a slightly sinister way.
4. Absinthe Spoons- I have loved these serving spoons for some time and I think their detailing would be perfect for an event like this.
6. Simple white pumpkins covered with black lace to accompany the candles on the table.
7. Gala Letterpress Invitation- Every masquerade deserves a special invitation.
Wouldn’t you guys love to go to a sophisticated but somewhat eerie masquerade dinner?